UTILITY MODELS REGISTRATION IN BULGARIA
Legal protection for utility models shall be granted through registration with the Patent Office of Republic of Bulgaria. The registration shall have effect with respect to third parties as of the date of publication in the Official Bulletin of the Patent Office. Utility models shall be registered, which are new, involve an inventive step and are susceptible of industrial application.
Novelty – a utility model shall be considered to be new if it does not form part of the state of the art. The state of the art shall be held to comprise everything made available to the public through use in the Republic of Bulgaria by means of a written or oral description or in any other way, anywhere in the world, before the filing date or the priority date, as appropriate, of the utility model application. Inventive step – the utility model shall be considered to involve an inventive step if a person possessing ordinary knowledge and skills in the art cannot easily realize it on the basis of the state of the art. Industrial application – the invention shall be considered susceptible of industrial application if its subject matter can be made or used repeatedly in any branch of industry or agriculture.
The term of validity of an utility model registration shall be four years as of the filing date of the application. It may be extended by two consecutive three-year periods. The total term of validity may not exceed ten years as of the filing date of the application.
Clients are advised to engage an industrial property representative with an extensive experience in the field if they want to register utility model in Bulgaria.
Services provided to clients in this area include, but are not limited to:
• Filling of the application for registration of an utility model in Bulgaria;
• Legal representation before the Patent Office of Republic of Bulgaria during the registration process of the utility model in Bulgaria;
• Utility model invalidation services;
• Protection against all types of infringements;
• Drafting of license agreements;
• Filing of a request for registration and publication of transfer of rights;
• Registration of change of name or address of the owner of an utility model;
• Preliminary searches.