Geographical indications are names of a place, region or country, which are used to identify products that come from these places and the products have the quality, reputation or other characteristics that are due exclusively to the geographical origin. The protection of geographical indications is of significant importance economically and culturally. They support rural development and promote new job opportunities in processing and production. They also create great value for local communities through products that are deeply rooted in tradition, culture and geography. Almost all of the countries have variety of local products, which correspond to the concept of geographical indications but only few of them are already known or protected globally.
Due to the numerous peculiarities of procedures such as registration of a geographical indication, user entry of a registered geographical indication and cancellation of a geographical indication, the assistance of a specialist with experience in this area is recommended to be sought, who will prepare all the documents required by the Law on Marks and Geographical Indications as well as the Regulation on drafting, filing and examination of applications for registration of trademarks and geographical indications. The IP attorney in Bulgaria Krasimira Kadieva will gladly assist you by providing professional advice and preparation of all necessary documents.
Services provided to clients in this area include, but are not limited to:
- Filling an application for registration of a geographical indication;
- Legal representation during the registration process;
- Registration of a subsequent user of a geographical indication;
- Drafting of an appeal against a decision for termination of the proceedings;
- Drafting of an appeal against a decision for refusal of registration;
- Drafting of a request for cancellation of the registration of a geographical indication.